Neill Blomkamp’s Alien 5 was intended to be a direct sequel to the classic Aliens, that would bring stars Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn back to the series. But ever since Ridley Scott’s sequel to Prometheus was given the title Alien: Covenant, there has been doubt about Alien 5 ever being made. Scott has now said it is very unlikely to happen.
In an interview with the French magazine Allocine to promote Covenant, Scott was asked about Alien 5. “I don’t think it will ever see the light of day,” Scott said (via ScreenRant). “There was never a script. Just an idea that evolved from a dozen or so pages. I had to participate as producer, but it didn’t go farther because Fox decided it didn’t want to do it. As far I was concerned, I had already done Prometheus and I was working on Covenant.”
In January, Blomkamp himself commented on the chances of his film now happening and admitted they were “slim.” Last year Weaver also spoke about it, and her comments contradict Scott’s assertion that there was never a script.
“We’re doing other things until we can get going on that,” she said.”[But] I’d be really surprised if we didn’t do it, because it’s such a great script, and we love working together. So, it’s just going to take a little bit longer to get out to you, but it’ll be worth the wait.”
Alien: Covenant hits theaters on May 19, 2017. Last week a special prologue to the film was released online–check it out here.